Stem cell biology research center began its activity as a stem cell laboratory in Yazd clinical and research center in Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences since 2006.
Since 5th February 2017, stem cell biology research center has been fully approved as a research center based in Yazd reproductive sciences institute by the Iranian ministry of health and medical education.
Different types of stem cells from different species have isolated and generated from adult, fetal and embryonic sources such as human dental pulp mesenchymal stem cells, human endometrial mesenchymal stem cells, rat bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells, human testis derived mesenchymal stromal cells, and human embryonic stem cells (YAZD hESC lines).
Animal studies were carried on to evaluate the effect of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells derived neurons to cure spinal injury and stroke.
Various material sources and methods were used to produce home-made scaffolds in tissue engineering using different cell types.
So far, more than 60 abstracts and papers have been presented and published in international meetings and journals.
The main past activities
· Organizing the first national symposium in the field of reproduction and stem cell technology and regenerative medicine in 3rd March 2016 in Yazd, Iran.
· Organizing theoretical and practical workshops and summer schools.
· PhD and MSc projects accomplishing in the field of stem cells and tissue engineering.
1) Establishing the clinical-grade human embryonic stem cell bank for the future cell therapeutics based medical applications.
2) Establishing the clinical-grade adult stem cell bank for the future cell therapeutics based medical applications.
3) Establishing the clinical-grade stem cell derivatives bank for the future cell therapeutics based medical applications.
4) Tissue engineering projects in human reproduction towards regenerative medicine.
5) Genetic engineering and epigenetic studies towards gene therapy applications.
6) Establishing the Yazd Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine Institute.